Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Parents in the 1950's

When my parents were kids in the 1950s, they looked forward to Saturday evenings when their families brought eggs and cream to town and sold them to the creamery.  With the money they earned, Georgia and Vivian bought their families' weekly groceries while their husbands took care of local business and the children spent their 25 cent weekly allowances at the soda shop or on candy.  My dad remembers sitting on the hood of his family’s 1952 Chevy, listening to music through the windows.  Mom remembers the soda shop that was housed inside the drugstore.  Saturday evenings provided a regular opportunity to visit with cousins and friends from school. 

What has always struck me about my parents’ memories of Saturday nights in town is the distinct sense of community they experienced as children.  Their parents conducted business locally, and the money they spent went back into their local economy.  While the marketplace has grown exponentially since that time, I appreciate the opportunity we possess to continue on in spirit of the buying locally.  We can choose to buy from our hometowns, region, or by country. 

When I bought products for the Georgia Vivienne Creations storefront, I bought from American-owned microbusinesses and mompreneurs.  Right now Georgia Vivienne Creations is having a 25% off sale at http://www.georgiaviv.com on a lot of these items.  Think of GVC as a homey, Midwestern store.  Come on over and checkout the storefront.  I appreciate your business and look forward to hearing from you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I moderate all comments. Shortly you will see your comment if approved.